INAX for Marc Jacobs Tokyo: Custom Cladding
- Marc Jacobs Flagship Store Tokyo
- Tokyo, Japan, 2010
- Designed by
- Jaklitsch / Gardner Architects
- Custom Made INAX Toujurin
The Marc Jacob’s flagship store is located in Tokyo’s Aoyama shopping district, just off Omotesando Street designed by award winning Jaklitsch / Gardner Architects.
The design is a response to the immediate context, which is bordered by world-renowned architecture and a quiet residential neighborhood, and the desire to represent the tradition of craft that is inherent in Japanese construction.
The building façade is conceptually striated into three horizontal zones; a void, rock and lantern.
The ‘rock’ section of the design houses the women’s ready to wear clothing, the exterior walls clad with INAX Toujurin blade-shaped porcelain tile developed specifically for this unique project. The dark brown, almost black, tiles are literally broken at the edge and at closer inspection, are jagged. As the field of tiles wraps around the façade they appear more reminiscent of weather-worn sedimentary earth.
- Award of Excellence, American Institute of Architects, New York State Chapter
- Award of Excellence, American Institute of Architects New York State Chapter
- American Architecture Award, The Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design
- Tri-State Award, American Institute of Architects, NY/NJ/PA